A total of 22 apprentices, most of whom attend nursing school in the Lower Hudson Valley, took part in the program this summer. They worked in clinical areas including pediatrics, emergency department, endoscopy, post-anesthesia care unit, ICU step-down, labor and delivery, maternal-child, medical-surgical, oncology and neonatal intensive care.
They also perform supervised tasks such as answering call bells, taking vital signs, assisting patients with meals, assisting nurses as needed and sitting with patients, reading to them and keeping them company. White Plains nurses instructed them on topics such as patient safety, infection control, and general patient care.
This is the 8th year of the program. More than 60 graduates have been hired by White Plains Hospital.
The apprentices will celebrate the end of the program in a ceremony Aug. 9 at White Plains Hospital.
The apprentices are:
• Bianca Acuna, White Plains, PACE University
• Luiza Andrade, West Harrison, PACE University
• Karina Barreto, Port Chester, PACE University
• Stacey Berroa, Mt. Vernon, Adelphi University
• Lauren Boustrous, Yorktown Heights, Scranton University
• Leah Briody, White Plains, SUNY Plattsburgh
• Michelle Campos, White Plains, Adelphi University
• Fanette Ceus, Elmsford, PACE University
• Jennie Chieco, Bedford Corners, Fairfield University
• Sarah DeLeno, Pelham, New York University
• Amanda Ferraro, West Harrison, Sacred Heart University
• Amanda Gariola, Sparkill, Penn State
• Jessica Gonzalez, White Plains, College of Mt. St. Vincent’s
• Janeen Hawkins, Mt. Vernon, PACE University
• Ashley Johnson, Orange, Connecticut, New York University
• Kristine Martin, Hawthorne, St. Mary’s College
• Claire O’Connell, Highland Mills, Quinnipiac University
• Vera Peraj, Yonkers, PACE University
• Laura Power, New Rochelle, Scranton University
• Marisa Rosario, White Plains, College of Mt. St. Vincent’s
• Libin Samuel, Yonkers, Nyack College
• Mark Sorian, White Plains, PACE University